UML Flowchart Symbols
The Unified Modeling Language (UML) is an accepted standard, universal modeling language widely used in the field of software engineering and software development. Initially destined for the object-oriented documentation design, now it is used much more widely.
The UML is based on the notations of the Booch method, the object-modeling technique (OMT) and object-oriented software engineering (OOSE), and allows successfully visualize the blueprints and display a graphical view of software system's structure on the UML diagram, applying the common set of notations - UML flowchart symbols.
The UML diagram is a powerful tool which lets visually represent all system's components, the interactions between them and relationships with external user interface. Use of UML flowchart symbols helps easy represent the system's requirements and subsystems, logical and physical elements, structural and behavioral patterns.
There 14 types of UML diagrams, each of them has its own purpose:
- Class Diagram — diagram which represents the structure of a system showing the objects as classes with attributes, methods, and relationships among them.
- Component Diagram — diagram that depicts the system's components and how they are connected each other and form larger components and software systems.
- Composite Structure Diagram — diagram that illustrates the internal structure of a specific class and also collaborations with others classes and outside elements which are possible owing this structure.
- Deployment Diagram — diagram which models the physical deployment of artifacts (software) on nodes (hardware).
- Object Diagram — diagram which displays a system's overview at a particular moment of time.
- Package Diagram — diagram that shows the dependencies between the packages which compose a model.
- Profile Diagram — diagram which allows to show stereotypes as classes and profiles as packages at the metamodel level.
- Activity Diagram — diagram that graphically represents the steps in a software process as a workflow.
- State Machine Diagram — diagram which describes the system composed of a finite number of states and shows the current state of a machine.
- Use Case Diagram — diagram that depicts the interactions between users and the system, and different use cases in which the user is involved.
- Communication Diagram — diagram that displays the interactions between the objects in terms of a set of sequenced messages.
- Interaction Overview Diagram — diagram which describes a workflow through a system, the individual activities can contain the nested interaction diagrams.
- Sequence Diagram — diagram that depicts objects interactions in a specific time sequence.
- Timing Diagram — diagram that shows behaviours of a given set of objects throughout a certain period of time.
Part of these UML diagrams are behavior diagrams - they depict behaviors and interactions of various system's components, other part are static structure diagrams - they show the system's physical structure.
Design of UML digrams is often a complex process which requires powerful software, that's why the ability fast and easy create the UML diagrams of any type and complexity offered by ConceptDraw's Rapid UML solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park makes the ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software the best choice for UML diagramming.
Example 1. UML Flowchart Symbols
The Rapid UML solution offers diversity of UML flowchart symbols for each from the existing UML diagrams types - 13 libraries with 393 vector objects from generally accepted UML notation.
UML Activity symbols library
UML Class Diagram symbols library
UML Communication Diagrams symbols library
UML Component symbols library
UML Composite Structure symbols library
UML Deployment symbols library
UML Interaction Overview symbols library
UML Object symbols library
UML Package symbols library
UML Sequence Diagram symbols library
UML State Machine Diagram symbols library
UML Timing symbols library
UML Use Case symbols library
Follow the next simple steps to design the UML diagram of any type of UML diagrams without efforts:
- drag the UML objects from the library which corresponds to your UML diagram type, add the text and arrange them on your document page;
Example 2. Adding UML objects
- connect the objects with connectors which appropriate for diagrams of selected type;
Example 3. Connecting UML objects
- add the text and color your diagram;
Example 4. UML Collaboration Diagram - Ticket Processing System
- you can also add the next object and automatically connect it with previous by clicking on its icon from the RapidDraw arrows, which pop up when you bring the mouse cursor over the object.
Example 5. Use of RapidDraw feature
The Rapid UML Solution provides also large quantity of predesigned templates and samples for each type of UML diagrams. All they are available from ConceptDraw STORE and can be used as the base for your UML diagrams.
UML Activity Diagram template
UML Activity Diagram (Swimlanes) template
UML Class Diagram template
UML Communication Diagram template
UML Component Diagram template
UML Composite Structure Diagram template
UML Deployment Diagram template
UML Interaction Overview Diagram template
UML Object Diagram template
UML Package Diagram template
UML Sequence Diagram template
UML State Machine Diagram template
UML Timing Diagram template
UML Use Case Diagram template
Use of template is the easiest way of drawing various diagrams and especially UML diagrams thanks to this multiplicity of professionally developed templates.
Example 6. Rapid UML Solution
The ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software is the best choice for easy drawing the UML diagrams thanks to the powerful drawing tools, collection of predesigned samples, examples, templates, and UML flowchart symbols.
Example 7. Export UML Diagram to Visio, PDF and PPT
Any UML Diagram created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM can be then easy printed to share with colleagues, exported to various popular formats, including PPT, PDF, MS Visio, HTML, and many other graphic formats.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
When it comes to system construction, a class diagram is the most widely used diagram. UML Class Diagrams is a type of static structure diagram that is used for general conceptual modeling of the systematics of the application. Such a diagram would illustrate the object-oriented view of a system. The object orientation of a system is indicated by a class diagram. It describes the structure of a system by showing the general issues,classes of a system, attributes, operations, interfaces, inheritance, and the relationships between them.
Picture: UML Class Diagram Notation
This sample shows the UML Activity Diagram that describes the flow of controls in the system. This is preparation to see how the system will work when executed. Black circle indicates the start of the workflow, encircled black circle indicates the end of the workflow. This sample shows the decision of the problem and can be used when you need to solve some set of problems.
Picture: UML Process Diagram Example
This sample shows the Flowchart that displays the layout and work flow of the cloud marketing platform. This diagram has a style of the marketing brochure. This style displays the central product that is related to the other issues.
Using the ready-to-use predesigned objects, samples and templates from the Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw DIAGRAM you can create your own professional looking Flowchart Diagrams quick and easy.
Picture: Flowchart Marketing Process. Flowchart Examples
Systems Modeling Language (SysML) is a general-purpose modeling language for systems engineering applications.
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software was extended with SysML Solution from the Software Development Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park specially to help systems engineers design various model systems with SysML.
Computer networks nowadays are spread all across the world. The large number of parameters, such as geographic scale or communication protocols, can divide networks. One of the most common types of networks is called local area network (LAN). It convenient to represent network examples by means of diagrams.
This local area network (LAN) diagram provides an easy way to see the way the devices in a local network are interacted. The diagram uses a library containing specific symbols to represent network equipment , media and the end-user devices such as computers (PC, mac, laptop) , network printer, hubs, server and finally a modem. There are two types of network topologies: physical and logical. The current diagram represents precisely a physical type of LAN topology because it refers to the physical layout of a local network equipment.
Picture: Local area network (LAN). Computer and Network Examples
Use the set of special professionally developed swim lane flowchart symbols - single, multiple, vertical and horizontal lanes from the Swimlanes and Swimlanes BPMN 1.2 libraries from the Business Process Diagram solution, the Swim Lanes library from the Business Process Mapping solution as the perfect basis for your Swim Lane Flowcharts of processes, algorithms and procedures.
Picture: Swim Lane Flowchart Symbols
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM extended with Windows 8 User Interface solution from the Software Development area is the best gui software. Using the drawing tools, libraries of vector objects, graphical user interface examples that offers Windows 8 User Interface solution, you will easily design the Windows 8 user interfaces and Windows 8 UI design patterns of any complexity.
Picture: Graphical User Interface Examples
When we start to speak about databases, we must always mention database structure visualization. One of the most common ways to do it is to create an entity relationship diagram, and to put appropriate symbols on it. It is important either for database projecting and for its' future maintenance.
Entity Relationship Diagram describes data elements and their relationships within a database. There are a set of special symbols that depict each element of an entity relationship diagram. Entities - represents some stable components such as supplier, employee, invoice, client, etc. Relation symbols show how the entities interact. Attributes define characteristics of the relationships. Attributes can be one-to-one or many-to-many. Physical symbols is used in the physical models. They represent items such as fields, tables, types and keys. ERD physical symbols are the building material for the database. Notation lines are used to illustrate the relationships. The most common method is Crow’s Feet notation. You can use ConceptDraw Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) solution to represent a database using the Entity-Relationship model.
Picture: Entity Relationship Diagram Symbols
The Rapid UML Solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park helps you to create the UML Class Diagrams quick and easy using ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software.
Picture: UML Class Diagram Tutorial