UML Flowchart Symbols
The Unified Modeling Language (UML) is an accepted standard, universal modeling language widely used in the field of software engineering and software development. Initially destined for the object-oriented documentation design, now it is used much more widely.
The UML is based on the notations of the Booch method, the object-modeling technique (OMT) and object-oriented software engineering (OOSE), and allows successfully visualize the blueprints and display a graphical view of software system's structure on the UML diagram, applying the common set of notations - UML flowchart symbols.
The UML diagram is a powerful tool which lets visually represent all system's components, the interactions between them and relationships with external user interface. Use of UML flowchart symbols helps easy represent the system's requirements and subsystems, logical and physical elements, structural and behavioral patterns.
There 14 types of UML diagrams, each of them has its own purpose:
- Class Diagram — diagram which represents the structure of a system showing the objects as classes with attributes, methods, and relationships among them.
- Component Diagram — diagram that depicts the system's components and how they are connected each other and form larger components and software systems.
- Composite Structure Diagram — diagram that illustrates the internal structure of a specific class and also collaborations with others classes and outside elements which are possible owing this structure.
- Deployment Diagram — diagram which models the physical deployment of artifacts (software) on nodes (hardware).
- Object Diagram — diagram which displays a system's overview at a particular moment of time.
- Package Diagram — diagram that shows the dependencies between the packages which compose a model.
- Profile Diagram — diagram which allows to show stereotypes as classes and profiles as packages at the metamodel level.
- Activity Diagram — diagram that graphically represents the steps in a software process as a workflow.
- State Machine Diagram — diagram which describes the system composed of a finite number of states and shows the current state of a machine.
- Use Case Diagram — diagram that depicts the interactions between users and the system, and different use cases in which the user is involved.
- Communication Diagram — diagram that displays the interactions between the objects in terms of a set of sequenced messages.
- Interaction Overview Diagram — diagram which describes a workflow through a system, the individual activities can contain the nested interaction diagrams.
- Sequence Diagram — diagram that depicts objects interactions in a specific time sequence.
- Timing Diagram — diagram that shows behaviours of a given set of objects throughout a certain period of time.
Part of these UML diagrams are behavior diagrams - they depict behaviors and interactions of various system's components, other part are static structure diagrams - they show the system's physical structure.
Design of UML digrams is often a complex process which requires powerful software, that's why the ability fast and easy create the UML diagrams of any type and complexity offered by ConceptDraw's Rapid UML solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park makes the ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software the best choice for UML diagramming.
Example 1. UML Flowchart Symbols
The Rapid UML solution offers diversity of UML flowchart symbols for each from the existing UML diagrams types - 13 libraries with 393 vector objects from generally accepted UML notation.
UML Activity symbols library
UML Class Diagram symbols library
UML Communication Diagrams symbols library
UML Component symbols library
UML Composite Structure symbols library
UML Deployment symbols library
UML Interaction Overview symbols library
UML Object symbols library
UML Package symbols library
UML Sequence Diagram symbols library
UML State Machine Diagram symbols library
UML Timing symbols library
UML Use Case symbols library
Follow the next simple steps to design the UML diagram of any type of UML diagrams without efforts:
- drag the UML objects from the library which corresponds to your UML diagram type, add the text and arrange them on your document page;
Example 2. Adding UML objects
- connect the objects with connectors which appropriate for diagrams of selected type;
Example 3. Connecting UML objects
- add the text and color your diagram;
Example 4. UML Collaboration Diagram - Ticket Processing System
- you can also add the next object and automatically connect it with previous by clicking on its icon from the RapidDraw arrows, which pop up when you bring the mouse cursor over the object.
Example 5. Use of RapidDraw feature
The Rapid UML Solution provides also large quantity of predesigned templates and samples for each type of UML diagrams. All they are available from ConceptDraw STORE and can be used as the base for your UML diagrams.
UML Activity Diagram template
UML Activity Diagram (Swimlanes) template
UML Class Diagram template
UML Communication Diagram template
UML Component Diagram template
UML Composite Structure Diagram template
UML Deployment Diagram template
UML Interaction Overview Diagram template
UML Object Diagram template
UML Package Diagram template
UML Sequence Diagram template
UML State Machine Diagram template
UML Timing Diagram template
UML Use Case Diagram template
Use of template is the easiest way of drawing various diagrams and especially UML diagrams thanks to this multiplicity of professionally developed templates.
Example 6. Rapid UML Solution
The ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software is the best choice for easy drawing the UML diagrams thanks to the powerful drawing tools, collection of predesigned samples, examples, templates, and UML flowchart symbols.
Example 7. Export UML Diagram to Visio, PDF and PPT
Any UML Diagram created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM can be then easy printed to share with colleagues, exported to various popular formats, including PPT, PDF, MS Visio, HTML, and many other graphic formats.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
Unified Modeling Language (UML) is a visual modeling language in the field of software engineering. It is an open standard that provides the graphic notations for creating the visual models of object-oriented software systems. UML took in the notations of the Object-modeling technique, Object-oriented software engineering and the Booch method.
Picture: UML for Software Engineers
Event-Driven Process chain Diagrams for improvement throughout an organisation. Best software for Process Flow Diagram. The Event-driven Process Chain (EPC) Diagrams allows managers to plan processes and resources.
Picture: Business process Flow Chart — Event-Driven Process chain (EPC) diagrams
There are many ways to define the flow of information within a system. Structured-systems analysis method often uses data flow diagrams to show data flow, data storages and data processing visualization. These diagrams are easy to develop and quite useful.
Here is a dataflow diagram presenting an example of the manufacturing process flow. The oval process shapes represent a process that controls data within the current system. The process may produce data or make some action based on data. Data flows are represented by lines. They show the movement of information through the system. The direction of the data flow is depicted by the arrow. The external entities are shown by rectangles. They represent the external entities interacting with the system. The data store objects (unclosed rectangles) are used to show data bases participating in a process flow.
Picture: Data Flow Diagram
How to design landscape? You can draw it by hand on a sheet of paper, but for this you need to know the bases of the perspective, you need to have good artistic abilities and to know how to depict the natural elements. But it is much easier and convenient to use the modern ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with Landscape & Garden Solution from the Building Plans Area.
Picture: How to Design Landscape
When developing the Classroom Seating Chart it is necessary to take into account the characteristics of the taken premises. Each seating place must to be comfortable and each pupil must to see good the teacher and the chalkboard. Let's design the Classroom Seating Chart in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software extended with School and Training Plans Solution from the Building Plans Area.
Picture: Classroom Seating Chart
When thinking about data visualization, one of the first tools that comes to mind is a flowchart design. You can find flowchart symbols, shapes, stencils and icons easily on the Internet, but it might take time to systematize this information. Nevertheless, once you start flowcharting, you’ll love its simplicity and efficiency.
This diagram consists from standard flowchart symbols, approved by ANSI (American National Standard Institute) for drawing flowcharts. A flowchart is a diagram that represents a step-by-step algorithm of any process, displaying the process stages as boxes that are connected with arrows. Flowchart design makes it clear and readable.
Flowchart designed using ConceptDraw DIAGRAM flowchart software allows to make attractive and clear process presentation, it makes interpretation of the business process flow fresh and versatile. Great flowchart design view is a big advantage over the diagram created manually on a paper.
Picture: Flowchart design. Flowchart symbols, shapes, stencils and icons
This sample was created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software using the UML Class Diagram library of the Rapid UML Solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
This sample describes the use of the classes, the generalization associations between them, the multiplicity of associations and constraints. Provided UML diagram is one of the examples set that are part of Rapid UML solution.
Picture: UML Class Diagram Generalization ExampleUML Diagrams
The ConceptDraw Flowchart component includes a set of samples and templates. This geathered as flowchart maker toolbox which focused on drawing flowcharts of any industry standards.
Picture: Flowchart Components
This sample shows the UML Class Diagram of delivery system. On this diagram you can see the classes that are connected with aggregation and composition associations indicated with the multiplicity. This sample can be used by delivery services, postal services.
Picture: UML Diagram for System