UML Flowchart Symbols
The Unified Modeling Language (UML) is an accepted standard, universal modeling language widely used in the field of software engineering and software development. Initially destined for the object-oriented documentation design, now it is used much more widely.
The UML is based on the notations of the Booch method, the object-modeling technique (OMT) and object-oriented software engineering (OOSE), and allows successfully visualize the blueprints and display a graphical view of software system's structure on the UML diagram, applying the common set of notations - UML flowchart symbols.
The UML diagram is a powerful tool which lets visually represent all system's components, the interactions between them and relationships with external user interface. Use of UML flowchart symbols helps easy represent the system's requirements and subsystems, logical and physical elements, structural and behavioral patterns.
There 14 types of UML diagrams, each of them has its own purpose:
- Class Diagram — diagram which represents the structure of a system showing the objects as classes with attributes, methods, and relationships among them.
- Component Diagram — diagram that depicts the system's components and how they are connected each other and form larger components and software systems.
- Composite Structure Diagram — diagram that illustrates the internal structure of a specific class and also collaborations with others classes and outside elements which are possible owing this structure.
- Deployment Diagram — diagram which models the physical deployment of artifacts (software) on nodes (hardware).
- Object Diagram — diagram which displays a system's overview at a particular moment of time.
- Package Diagram — diagram that shows the dependencies between the packages which compose a model.
- Profile Diagram — diagram which allows to show stereotypes as classes and profiles as packages at the metamodel level.
- Activity Diagram — diagram that graphically represents the steps in a software process as a workflow.
- State Machine Diagram — diagram which describes the system composed of a finite number of states and shows the current state of a machine.
- Use Case Diagram — diagram that depicts the interactions between users and the system, and different use cases in which the user is involved.
- Communication Diagram — diagram that displays the interactions between the objects in terms of a set of sequenced messages.
- Interaction Overview Diagram — diagram which describes a workflow through a system, the individual activities can contain the nested interaction diagrams.
- Sequence Diagram — diagram that depicts objects interactions in a specific time sequence.
- Timing Diagram — diagram that shows behaviours of a given set of objects throughout a certain period of time.
Part of these UML diagrams are behavior diagrams - they depict behaviors and interactions of various system's components, other part are static structure diagrams - they show the system's physical structure.
Design of UML digrams is often a complex process which requires powerful software, that's why the ability fast and easy create the UML diagrams of any type and complexity offered by ConceptDraw's Rapid UML solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park makes the ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software the best choice for UML diagramming.
Example 1. UML Flowchart Symbols
The Rapid UML solution offers diversity of UML flowchart symbols for each from the existing UML diagrams types - 13 libraries with 393 vector objects from generally accepted UML notation.
UML Activity symbols library
UML Class Diagram symbols library
UML Communication Diagrams symbols library
UML Component symbols library
UML Composite Structure symbols library
UML Deployment symbols library
UML Interaction Overview symbols library
UML Object symbols library
UML Package symbols library
UML Sequence Diagram symbols library
UML State Machine Diagram symbols library
UML Timing symbols library
UML Use Case symbols library
Follow the next simple steps to design the UML diagram of any type of UML diagrams without efforts:
- drag the UML objects from the library which corresponds to your UML diagram type, add the text and arrange them on your document page;
Example 2. Adding UML objects
- connect the objects with connectors which appropriate for diagrams of selected type;
Example 3. Connecting UML objects
- add the text and color your diagram;
Example 4. UML Collaboration Diagram - Ticket Processing System
- you can also add the next object and automatically connect it with previous by clicking on its icon from the RapidDraw arrows, which pop up when you bring the mouse cursor over the object.
Example 5. Use of RapidDraw feature
The Rapid UML Solution provides also large quantity of predesigned templates and samples for each type of UML diagrams. All they are available from ConceptDraw STORE and can be used as the base for your UML diagrams.
UML Activity Diagram template
UML Activity Diagram (Swimlanes) template
UML Class Diagram template
UML Communication Diagram template
UML Component Diagram template
UML Composite Structure Diagram template
UML Deployment Diagram template
UML Interaction Overview Diagram template
UML Object Diagram template
UML Package Diagram template
UML Sequence Diagram template
UML State Machine Diagram template
UML Timing Diagram template
UML Use Case Diagram template
Use of template is the easiest way of drawing various diagrams and especially UML diagrams thanks to this multiplicity of professionally developed templates.
Example 6. Rapid UML Solution
The ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software is the best choice for easy drawing the UML diagrams thanks to the powerful drawing tools, collection of predesigned samples, examples, templates, and UML flowchart symbols.
Example 7. Export UML Diagram to Visio, PDF and PPT
Any UML Diagram created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM can be then easy printed to share with colleagues, exported to various popular formats, including PPT, PDF, MS Visio, HTML, and many other graphic formats.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
This sample was created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software using the UML State Mashine Diagram library of the Rapid UML Solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
This sample shows the work of the online store and can be used for the understanding of the online shopping processes, for projection and creating of the online store.
Picture: State Diagram Example — Online Store
Agile methodology is an excellent alternative to waterfall and traditional sequential development. ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software extended with SCRUM Workflow solution is ideal for quick and easy designing various diagrams, charts, mind maps and schematics illustrating software development using Agile methodologies, and in particular Scrum methodology.
Picture: Agile Methodology
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM extended with the Rapid UML solution is perfect for drawing professional UML diagrams.
Picture: How to create a UML Diagram
UML Package Diagram illustrates the functionality of a software system.
ConceptDraw has 393 vector stencils in the 13 libraries that helps you to start using software for designing your own UML Diagrams. You can use the appropriate stencils of UML notation from UML Package library.
Picture: UML Package Diagram. Design Elements
Process Flow Chart is a visual diagram which shows the processes and relationships between the major components in a system, and uses for this the special process flow chart symbols: special shapes to represent different types of actions and process steps, lines and arrows to represent relationships and sequence of steps. It often named process flow diagram, it use colored flowchart symbols.
It is incredibly convenient to use the ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software extended with Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park for designing professional looking Process Flow Charts.
Picture: Process Flow Chart Symbols
UML Object Diagram shows the structure of a modeled system at a specific time.
ConceptDraw Rapid UML solution delivers libraries contain pre-designed objects fit UML notation, and ready to draw professional UML Object Diagram.
Picture: Diagramming Software for Design UML Object Diagrams
The most easier way of creating the visually engaging and informative Sales Process Flowchart is to create the new ConceptDraw document and to use the predesigned vector symbols offered in 6 libraries of the Sales Flowchart Solution. There are more than six types of sales process flow diagrams, ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software is flowchart maker which include six collections of extended flowchart symbols for effective diagramming. There are main collections of color coded flowchart symbols: Sales Department, Sales Steps, Sales Workflow, Sales Symbols and special set of Sales Arrows and Sales Flowchart.
Picture: Sales Process Flowchart Symbols
UML Component Diagram illustrates show components are wired together to larger components and software systems that shows the structure of arbitrarily complex systems.
Rapid UML Solution for ConceptDraw DIAGRAM contains 13 vector stencils libraries with 393 interactive shapes that you can use to design your UML diagrams.
To design a Component Diagram use the UML Component Diagram library.
UML Component Diagram library contains 36 shapes
Picture: UML Component Diagram. Design Elements
Business Process Workflow Diagram is a professional visual tool that is widely applied for business development, business analysis, business process optimization and documenting business processes. Business Process Workflow Diagram lets depict in details the steps of business processes and flow of tasks between them, the execution of business processes, transfer of data and documents.
The workflows on the Business Process Workflow Diagram are represented using the set of common symbols which let easy illustrate business processes and process flows, depict the start, all major steps and end of the process, what data are used by the process, how the data flow through the business areas within scope of our project, how the tasks are executed and by who, and how workers interact with each other.
Picture: Business Process Workflow Diagram
Acquaintance with flowcharting starts from getting into basic terms. First of all, flowchart definition is quite clear – a flowchart is a graphical representation of a process or an algorithm made of special symbols. Secondly, flowcharting is an irreplaceable tool for IT specialists, project managers, and anyone who wants a clear understanding of any imaginable process.
Picture: Flowchart Definition