Process Flow Diagram
What is a Process Flow Diagram
A Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is a diagram which shows the relationships between the main components in a system. Process Flow Diagrams are widely used by engineers in chemical and process engineering, they allows to indicate the general flow of plant process streams and equipment, helps to design the petroleum refineries, petrochemical and chemical plants, natural gas processing plants, and many other industrial facilities.
Process Flow Diagram is focused on the representation the major equipment and doesn't show minor equipment details and designations. The PFD of a single unit process can include:
- process piping;
- major equipment items, symbols, names and identification numbers;
- recirculation streams and major bypass;
- control valves and other valves which influence on the system's work, monitor and control the operations of the processes;
- flow directions;
- interconnections with other systems;
- the set of operational data - pressure, temperature, flow rate, density, operational values for the pumps, compressors, distillation columns and other vessels, composition of fluids, process stream names, amount and composition of all the major process streams, amount of heat, system ratings, etc.
Example 1. Process Flow Diagram - Crude Oil Distillation Unit
Benefits of Process Flow Diagram
The Process Flow Diagram has a wide set of benefits:
- gives a clear documentation of a process;
- allows to define and offers common understanding of processes;
- helps to build a process visual representation for analysis, discussion, and communication;
- allows to identify the scope of the process;
- allows to trace and analyze the process steps;
- helps to standardize and find areas for monitoring, improvement and increased efficiency in a process;
- allows to find and detach the steps of the process that are not essential;
- helps in understanding the logic of complex problems;
- offers a guidance for managers overseeing operations;
- shows the plant design basis, the arrangement of major equipment, process lines, main control loops;
- indicates feedstock, product, main streams flow rates and operating conditions;
- facilitates communication between programmers and business people;
- helps programmers to write the programs of any complexity and on the any high level language;
- helps in debugging process and provides efficient program maintenance;
- helps to understand and explain to other people the logic of the complex problems and their solution;
- assists to improve teamwork effectiveness.
Design a Process Flow Diagram in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with powerful tools of Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is effective for drawing:
- Process Flow Diagram
- Flow Process Diagram
- Business Process Flow Diagrams
Flowcharts Solution offers collection of predesigned samples and 2 libraries with variety of predesigned vector shapes for easy drawing Process Flow Diagrams:
- Flowchart library contains 26 objects,
- Flowcharts Rapid Draw library contains 39 objects.
Example 2. Process Flow Diagram. Design Elements — Invoice Payment Process Flowchart for Apple OS X and Windows
The Process Flow Diagrams you see on this page were created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software using the Flowcharts Solution and Chemical and Process Engineering Solution. These samples are available from ConceptDraw STORE.
Use the tools of Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw Solution Park for fast and easy designing professional looking Process Flow Diagram, and then successfully use it in your work activity.
All source documents are vector graphic documents. They are available for reviewing, modifying, or converting to a variety of formats (PDF file, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, and many other graphic formats) from the ConceptDraw STORE. The Flowcharts Solution is available for all ConceptDraw DIAGRAM or later users.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
Business Process Flow Diagram is a graphical presentation of business processes and process flows. It is one of the main tool of business analysis and business process re-engineering that lets identify and easy understand process flows within organization.
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM extended with Business Process Workflow Diagrams solution from the Business Processes area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is a powerful software which lets easy design Business Process Flow Diagram of any complexity.
Picture: Business Process Flow Diagram
If you need create a Process and Instrumentation Diagram, it is convenient to design it in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software which offers powerful Chemical and Process Engineering Solution from the Industrial Engineering Area.
Picture: Process and Instrumentation Diagram
The term “cloud” is very popular and widely used now, it is a server, data processing centre, or a network which lets to store the data and software, provides access to them, allows to run applications without installation and gives the possibility to process data hosted remotely via the Internet connection.
For documenting the Cloud Computing Architecture with a goal to facilitate the communication between stakeholders are successfully used the Cloud Computing Architecture diagrams. It is convenient and easy to draw various Cloud Computing Architecture diagrams in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software with help of tools of the Cloud Computing Diagrams Solution from the Computer and Networks Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
Picture: How to Build Cloud Computing DiagramPrincipal Cloud Manufacturing
Data base diagrams describes inter-related data and tables. It describes roles and relationships, internal and external dependencies, data exchange conventions and structures of knowledge domain.
ConceptDraw Software provides number of data-base chart libraries including major 49 vector symbols. Use these DFD flowchart symbol libraries to design data-base structure and models, use it to design data base process-oriented models, or simple data-oriented models. The are special drawing tools for making data flowcharts, data process diagrams, structured analysis diagrams, and information flow diagrams.
Picture: Database Flowchart Symbols
An electrical connector, is an electro-mechanical device used to join electrical terminations and create an electrical circuit. Electrical connectors consist of plugs (male-ended) and jacks (female-ended). The connection may be temporary, as for portable equipment, require a tool for assembly and removal, or serve as a permanent electrical joint between two wires or devices.
26 libraries of the Electrical Engineering Solution of ConceptDraw DIAGRAM make your electrical diagramming simple, efficient, and effective. You can simply and quickly drop the ready-to-use objects from libraries into your document to create the electrical diagram.
Picture: Electrical Symbols — Terminals and Connectors
This sample was created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software using the Organizational Charts Solution from the Management area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
The Organizational Chart is a diagram that shows the structure of the organization, different levels of management, hierarchy and the relationships of the organization parts.
Picture: Horizontal Org Flow Chart
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM - workflow software extended with the Workflow Diagram solution provides a complete set of samples, templates and features help you to draw diagrams faster. A workflow software you use for drawing workflow diagrams and business process flow diagrams should provide a wide set of examples allows you get closer with workflow diagrams, learn symbols meaning, find appropriate layout and design, and then start drawing your own workflow diagram masterfully. Workflow diagrams used for orchestrating organizational processes between company departments and humans, so critical process diagrams used to train many people to interact must be clear and professional to convey an idea from a view. Thats a reason we created a lot workflow symbols and workflow icons collected them into special Workflow Diagram solution in ConceptDraw Solution Park.
Picture: Workflow Diagram Examples
Value Stream Mapping for the lean office is a tool that uses a flow diagram to document in great detail every step of a manufacturing process.
Picture: Value Stream Mapping for the Lean Office
UML Composite Structure Diagram shows the internal structure of a class and the possible interactions at this structure.
ConceptDraw has 393 vector stencils in the 13 libraries that helps you to start using software for designing your own UML Diagrams. You can use the appropriate stencils of UML notation from UML Composite Structure library.
Picture: UML Composite Structure Diagram. Design Elements