Process Flow Diagram
What is a Process Flow Diagram
A Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is a diagram which shows the relationships between the main components in a system. Process Flow Diagrams are widely used by engineers in chemical and process engineering, they allows to indicate the general flow of plant process streams and equipment, helps to design the petroleum refineries, petrochemical and chemical plants, natural gas processing plants, and many other industrial facilities.
Process Flow Diagram is focused on the representation the major equipment and doesn't show minor equipment details and designations. The PFD of a single unit process can include:
- process piping;
- major equipment items, symbols, names and identification numbers;
- recirculation streams and major bypass;
- control valves and other valves which influence on the system's work, monitor and control the operations of the processes;
- flow directions;
- interconnections with other systems;
- the set of operational data - pressure, temperature, flow rate, density, operational values for the pumps, compressors, distillation columns and other vessels, composition of fluids, process stream names, amount and composition of all the major process streams, amount of heat, system ratings, etc.
Example 1. Process Flow Diagram - Crude Oil Distillation Unit
Benefits of Process Flow Diagram
The Process Flow Diagram has a wide set of benefits:
- gives a clear documentation of a process;
- allows to define and offers common understanding of processes;
- helps to build a process visual representation for analysis, discussion, and communication;
- allows to identify the scope of the process;
- allows to trace and analyze the process steps;
- helps to standardize and find areas for monitoring, improvement and increased efficiency in a process;
- allows to find and detach the steps of the process that are not essential;
- helps in understanding the logic of complex problems;
- offers a guidance for managers overseeing operations;
- shows the plant design basis, the arrangement of major equipment, process lines, main control loops;
- indicates feedstock, product, main streams flow rates and operating conditions;
- facilitates communication between programmers and business people;
- helps programmers to write the programs of any complexity and on the any high level language;
- helps in debugging process and provides efficient program maintenance;
- helps to understand and explain to other people the logic of the complex problems and their solution;
- assists to improve teamwork effectiveness.
Design a Process Flow Diagram in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with powerful tools of Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is effective for drawing:
- Process Flow Diagram
- Flow Process Diagram
- Business Process Flow Diagrams
Flowcharts Solution offers collection of predesigned samples and 2 libraries with variety of predesigned vector shapes for easy drawing Process Flow Diagrams:
- Flowchart library contains 26 objects,
- Flowcharts Rapid Draw library contains 39 objects.
Example 2. Process Flow Diagram. Design Elements — Invoice Payment Process Flowchart for Apple OS X and Windows
The Process Flow Diagrams you see on this page were created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software using the Flowcharts Solution and Chemical and Process Engineering Solution. These samples are available from ConceptDraw STORE.
Use the tools of Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw Solution Park for fast and easy designing professional looking Process Flow Diagram, and then successfully use it in your work activity.
All source documents are vector graphic documents. They are available for reviewing, modifying, or converting to a variety of formats (PDF file, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, and many other graphic formats) from the ConceptDraw STORE. The Flowcharts Solution is available for all ConceptDraw DIAGRAM or later users.
NINE RELATED HOW TO's:
Data flow diagrams are the graphical tool, used in the visualization of data flow of some data processing systems. It is the valuable process modeling tool. Also designing DFD is the important component of the initial part of any information system development project. The standard symbols are used to represent the interaction of a system components and how various kinds of components influence on data flow. The ConceptDraw Data Flow Diagrams solution is design to assist professional software engineers in making DFDs according to Gane and Sarson, and Yourdon and Coad notations.
Do you imagine yourself as a successful IT specialist? To your mind, they all use data flow diagram examples to learn and to get inspired. Aren’t you still with us?
Picture: Data Flow Diagram Examples
ConceptDraw software has been developed for drawing any type of flowchart. Use RapidDraw - thi is flowchart maker technology for adding new objects to a flowchart quickly. This is technology of fast drawing technique focused on making great-looking flowcharts quickly. To get started using it download flowchart maker ConceptDraw DIAGRAM.
Picture: Flowchart Program Mac
The most easier way of creating the visually engaging and informative Sales Process Flowchart is to create the new ConceptDraw document and to use the predesigned vector symbols offered in 6 libraries of the Sales Flowchart Solution. There are more than six types of sales process flow diagrams, ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software is flowchart maker which include six collections of extended flowchart symbols for effective diagramming. There are main collections of color coded flowchart symbols: Sales Department, Sales Steps, Sales Workflow, Sales Symbols and special set of Sales Arrows and Sales Flowchart.
Picture: Sales Process Flowchart Symbols
Jackson System Development (JSD) is a linear method of system development created by Michael A. Jackson and John Cameron in the 1980s. It comprises the whole software life cycle directly or providing a framework for more specialized techniques.
When implementing the Jackson System Development method and designing JSD diagrams, you can succesfully use the powerful and helpful tools of ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software extended with Entity-Relationship Diagram (ERD) solution from the Software Development area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
Picture: JSD - Jackson system development
Activity Network Diagram - This sample was created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software using the Seven Management and Planning Tools solution from the Management area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
This sample shows the PERT (Program Evaluation Review Technique) chart of the request on proposal. A request for proposal (RFP) is a request of the company or the organization to potential suppliers to submit the business proposals for service or goods that it is interested to purchase. The RFP is represented on the initial procurement stage and allows to define the risks and benefits.
Picture: Activity Network Diagram Method
ConceptDraw gives the ability to draw simple diagrams like flowcharts, block diagrams, bar charts, histograms, pie charts, divided bar diagrams, line graphs, area charts, scatter plots, circular arrows diagrams, Venn diagrams, bubble diagrams, concept maps, and others.
Picture: Simple Drawing Applications for Mac
A waterfall model describes software development process as a sequence of phases that flow downwards. SSADM is one of the implementations of waterfall method. It’s easier to learn about structured systems analysis and design method (SSADM) with ConceptDraw DIAGRAM because this software has appropriate tools for creating data flow diagrams. You can use all the three main techniques of SSADM method with special tools and predesigned templates.
This data flow diagram illustrates the Structured Systems Analysis and Design Method. This method method considers analysis, projecting and documenting of information systems. Data flow models are the most important elements of SSADM and data flow diagrams are usually used for their description. It includes the analysis and description of a system as well as visualization of possible issues.
Picture: Structured Systems Analysis and Design Method. SSADM with ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with Chemical and Process Engineering Solution from the Industrial Engineering Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park offers you the set of useful tools for easy drawing various Process Diagrams.
Picture: Process Diagrams