Process Flow Diagram
What is a Process Flow Diagram
A Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is a diagram which shows the relationships between the main components in a system. Process Flow Diagrams are widely used by engineers in chemical and process engineering, they allows to indicate the general flow of plant process streams and equipment, helps to design the petroleum refineries, petrochemical and chemical plants, natural gas processing plants, and many other industrial facilities.
Process Flow Diagram is focused on the representation the major equipment and doesn't show minor equipment details and designations. The PFD of a single unit process can include:
- process piping;
- major equipment items, symbols, names and identification numbers;
- recirculation streams and major bypass;
- control valves and other valves which influence on the system's work, monitor and control the operations of the processes;
- flow directions;
- interconnections with other systems;
- the set of operational data - pressure, temperature, flow rate, density, operational values for the pumps, compressors, distillation columns and other vessels, composition of fluids, process stream names, amount and composition of all the major process streams, amount of heat, system ratings, etc.
Example 1. Process Flow Diagram - Crude Oil Distillation Unit
Benefits of Process Flow Diagram
The Process Flow Diagram has a wide set of benefits:
- gives a clear documentation of a process;
- allows to define and offers common understanding of processes;
- helps to build a process visual representation for analysis, discussion, and communication;
- allows to identify the scope of the process;
- allows to trace and analyze the process steps;
- helps to standardize and find areas for monitoring, improvement and increased efficiency in a process;
- allows to find and detach the steps of the process that are not essential;
- helps in understanding the logic of complex problems;
- offers a guidance for managers overseeing operations;
- shows the plant design basis, the arrangement of major equipment, process lines, main control loops;
- indicates feedstock, product, main streams flow rates and operating conditions;
- facilitates communication between programmers and business people;
- helps programmers to write the programs of any complexity and on the any high level language;
- helps in debugging process and provides efficient program maintenance;
- helps to understand and explain to other people the logic of the complex problems and their solution;
- assists to improve teamwork effectiveness.
Design a Process Flow Diagram in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with powerful tools of Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is effective for drawing:
- Process Flow Diagram
- Flow Process Diagram
- Business Process Flow Diagrams
Flowcharts Solution offers collection of predesigned samples and 2 libraries with variety of predesigned vector shapes for easy drawing Process Flow Diagrams:
- Flowchart library contains 26 objects,
- Flowcharts Rapid Draw library contains 39 objects.
Example 2. Process Flow Diagram. Design Elements — Invoice Payment Process Flowchart for Apple OS X and Windows
The Process Flow Diagrams you see on this page were created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software using the Flowcharts Solution and Chemical and Process Engineering Solution. These samples are available from ConceptDraw STORE.
Use the tools of Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw Solution Park for fast and easy designing professional looking Process Flow Diagram, and then successfully use it in your work activity.
All source documents are vector graphic documents. They are available for reviewing, modifying, or converting to a variety of formats (PDF file, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, and many other graphic formats) from the ConceptDraw STORE. The Flowcharts Solution is available for all ConceptDraw DIAGRAM or later users.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software provides the unique Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park with variety of vector objects libraries and collection of examples Flowchart. Each example flowchart included in Flowcharts solution is a real help in drawing process, it can be the good base or perfect source of inspiration.
Picture: Examples Flowchart
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM is a world-class diagramming platform that lets you display, communicate, and present dynamically. It′s powerful enough to draw everything from basic flowcharts to complex engineering schematics.
Video tutorials on ConceptDraw products. Try it today!
Picture: Business Process Mapping — How to Map a Work Process
Of course it is possible to keep network records in text documents, but it is very difficult to use them later. A more sound way to keep such documentation is to create a network diagram that might represent either logical network structure or physical. These diagrams are easy to understand and you will thank yourself later.
There is a physical network diagram. It is a tool to represent, maintain and analysis of network equipment and interconnections. Network diagram depicts the actual network information in the attractive clear graphic form. One can learn here the LAN cable length, telecommunication type and carrying capacity. The diagram depicts servers, IP address and domain name as well. Also it shows location of hubs, switches, modems, routers, and other network equipment. The sets of special symbols and images delivered with ConceptDraw Network Diagrams solution are used to show network components. Symbols have a standard view. Therefore, various specialists can read the network diagram without any discrepancies.
Picture: Network diagrams with ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw - Perfect Network Diagramming Software with abundant examples and templates. ConceptDraw Network Diagram is ideal for network engineers and network designers who need to draw Enterprise Private Network diagrams.
Picture: Network Diagram SoftwareEnterprise Private Network
Accounts Payable Process Flow Chart - ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with Accounting Flowcharts Solution provides the useful tools that will help you create easily and quickly.
The Accounts Payable Process Flow Chart is very popular and widely used type of accounting flowcharts. Now their designing is simple thanks to the Accounting Flowcharts Solution that provides the Accounting Flowcharts library of predesigned commonly-used shapes and a set of templates and samples.
Picture: Accounts Payable Process Flow Chart
Create flowcharts, flow charts, and more with ConceptDraw flowchart software.
Picture: Basic Diagramming. Flowchart Software
When searching for a diagramming tool, we look for a powerful and reliable software that would be easy to use. To mention one, ConceptDraw DIAGRAM has all the necessary features to create cross-functional flowcharts (Swim Lanes) quick and effortlessly. You can draw swim lane diagrams in both vertical and horizontal ways.
This cross-functional flowchart displays a payroll process. It explains to each participant his role in the process depending on the category, represented with swimlanes. Using this flowchart, every employee can easily find out what he can expect in terms of salary. Generally a cross-functional diagram enables one to take a look at processes with a wider scope and with more precision than simple flowchart. Business process capturing using cross-functional flowcharts can be useful for stakeholders and managers to define clearly the staff's roles and responsibilities.
Picture: Cross-Functional Flowchart (Swim Lanes)
Aside from decorating inner spaces, which is a realm of interior design, the art of exterior design is about home facades, playgrounds and yards. To start a project, first of all, you need a site plan of the place, and a list of customers’ requirements. With special software you can do a plan of any place like parking, interchange or driveway easily.
There is one of the three libraries supplied with ConceptDraw Site Plans solution. It is designed to draw planning areas adjacent to buildings. For example parking, exit road or house territory for rest. This kind of building plans can be used for providing parking control that helps to organize traffic near residential areas. The well considered road planning will improve safety and will help to manage the number of vehicles near buildings. The ConceptDraw library "Parking and Roads" includes vector graphic images of parking spaces, lots and strips as well as street junctions, driveways and interchanges.
Picture: Interior Design. Site Plan — Design Elements