Process Flow Diagram
What is a Process Flow Diagram
A Process Flow Diagram (PFD) is a diagram which shows the relationships between the main components in a system. Process Flow Diagrams are widely used by engineers in chemical and process engineering, they allows to indicate the general flow of plant process streams and equipment, helps to design the petroleum refineries, petrochemical and chemical plants, natural gas processing plants, and many other industrial facilities.
Process Flow Diagram is focused on the representation the major equipment and doesn't show minor equipment details and designations. The PFD of a single unit process can include:
- process piping;
- major equipment items, symbols, names and identification numbers;
- recirculation streams and major bypass;
- control valves and other valves which influence on the system's work, monitor and control the operations of the processes;
- flow directions;
- interconnections with other systems;
- the set of operational data - pressure, temperature, flow rate, density, operational values for the pumps, compressors, distillation columns and other vessels, composition of fluids, process stream names, amount and composition of all the major process streams, amount of heat, system ratings, etc.
Example 1. Process Flow Diagram - Crude Oil Distillation Unit
Benefits of Process Flow Diagram
The Process Flow Diagram has a wide set of benefits:
- gives a clear documentation of a process;
- allows to define and offers common understanding of processes;
- helps to build a process visual representation for analysis, discussion, and communication;
- allows to identify the scope of the process;
- allows to trace and analyze the process steps;
- helps to standardize and find areas for monitoring, improvement and increased efficiency in a process;
- allows to find and detach the steps of the process that are not essential;
- helps in understanding the logic of complex problems;
- offers a guidance for managers overseeing operations;
- shows the plant design basis, the arrangement of major equipment, process lines, main control loops;
- indicates feedstock, product, main streams flow rates and operating conditions;
- facilitates communication between programmers and business people;
- helps programmers to write the programs of any complexity and on the any high level language;
- helps in debugging process and provides efficient program maintenance;
- helps to understand and explain to other people the logic of the complex problems and their solution;
- assists to improve teamwork effectiveness.
Design a Process Flow Diagram in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with powerful tools of Flowcharts Solution from the "Diagrams" Area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is effective for drawing:
- Process Flow Diagram
- Flow Process Diagram
- Business Process Flow Diagrams
Flowcharts Solution offers collection of predesigned samples and 2 libraries with variety of predesigned vector shapes for easy drawing Process Flow Diagrams:
- Flowchart library contains 26 objects,
- Flowcharts Rapid Draw library contains 39 objects.
Example 2. Process Flow Diagram. Design Elements — Invoice Payment Process Flowchart for Apple OS X and Windows
The Process Flow Diagrams you see on this page were created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM software using the Flowcharts Solution and Chemical and Process Engineering Solution. These samples are available from ConceptDraw STORE.
Use the tools of Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw Solution Park for fast and easy designing professional looking Process Flow Diagram, and then successfully use it in your work activity.
All source documents are vector graphic documents. They are available for reviewing, modifying, or converting to a variety of formats (PDF file, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio, and many other graphic formats) from the ConceptDraw STORE. The Flowcharts Solution is available for all ConceptDraw DIAGRAM or later users.
TEN RELATED HOW TO's:
This sample shows the Horizontal Bar Chart of the average monthly rainfalls.
This sample was created in ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software using the Bar Graphs Solution from the Graphs and Charts area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
Picture: Rainfall Bar Chart
In electronics, a logic gate is an idealized or physical device implementing a Boolean function; that is, it performs a logical operation on one or more logical inputs, and produces a single logical output. Depending on the context, the term may refer to an ideal logic gate, one that has for instance zero rise time and unlimited fan-out, or it may refer to a non-ideal physical device
26 libraries of the Electrical Engineering Solution of ConceptDraw DIAGRAM make your electrical diagramming simple, efficient, and effective. You can simply and quickly drop the ready-to-use objects from libraries into your document to create the electrical diagram.
Picture: Electrical Symbols — Logic Gate Diagram
To design the professional looking Flowchart Diagrams use ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with Flowchart maker solutions from the Diagrams area of ConceptDraw Solution Park.
The Flowcharts diagrams are widely used for designing, documenting, analyzing and managing the complex processes and programs in various fields such as business, engineering, architecture, science, manufacturing, administration, etc.
Picture: Flowchart Software
ConceptDraw DIAGRAM extended with Divided Bar Diagrams solution from Graphs and Charts area of ConceptDraw Solution Park is the best software for quick and simple drawing the Divided Bar Diagrams and Bar Diagram Math.
Picture: Bar Diagram Math
Do you like the professional schemes that you can find on the Internet? Take into account that the most part of them is made using the Best Flowchart Software and Flowchart Symbols. Try you own powers in creating such diagrams!
Flowcharts are the most business diagramming tool. If you are a business manager, you can use flow chart to depict work flow in your organization, develop the effective organizational structure and present the information to investors or other stakeholders. Combining the smart management solutions with ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming engine delivers the set of comprehensive flowchart tools necessary to support professionals in their creativeness and business activity.
Picture: Best Flowchart Software and Flowchart Symbols
Total quality management is the one known to be consisting of some organization-wide efforts put in order to install and to make some climate in which this organization can continuously improve its ability to deliver the high-quality products and services to its customers permanently.
Picture: Total Quality Management Definition
Workflow Diagram - workflow process diagram is a visual representation of a organizational process flow. Often it used as the same visual notation as process flow diagram. Visualising business processes using workflow diagram (workflow process diagram) allows estimate business process efficiency, analyse and optimize the process itself. Workflow diagram helps get focusing on each step and relations between workflow steps. ConceptDraw DIAGRAM is software for making workflow diagram. It contains specific designed graphics to draw workflow diagrams effectively. This is workflow diagram maker which do your work process effective.
Picture: Work Flow Process Chart
This sample shows the Flowchart that displays the layout and work flow of the cloud marketing platform. This diagram has a style of the marketing brochure. This style displays the central product that is related to the other issues.
Using the ready-to-use predesigned objects, samples and templates from the Flowcharts Solution for ConceptDraw DIAGRAM you can create your own professional looking Flowchart Diagrams quick and easy.
Picture: Flowchart Marketing Process. Flowchart Examples
Process Flow Charts are very popular and widely used in chemical and process engineering for representation a general flow of plant processes and equipment. If you need often draw them, the ConceptDraw DIAGRAM diagramming and vector drawing software extended with tools of Flowcharts Solution will be useful for you.
The mostly used set of process flow chart symbols includes the following: Rectangle (box) process flow chart symbol, Rounded rectangle, Circle, Diamond.
Picture: Process Flow Chart Symbol
The Total Quality Management Diagram solution helps your organization visualize business and industrial processes. Create Total Quality Management diagrams for business process with ConceptDraw software.
Picture: Create TQM Flowcharts for Mac